This week, our 5 for Friday features Ava Terry, Managing Director with Sperry Van Ness/AVAT Realty, LLC based out of Huntsville, AL.
1. What is your geographic market and product specialty?
Our market is Northern Alabama, with a focus on the Huntsville area. As the broker of record for our company, I seldom work on projects alone. I partner with Advisors as a primary training tool. My product specialty is retail leasing and land, but our brokerage has specialists in multifamily, property management and STNL properties. Of course, with the STNL properties, they could be located anywhere in the US, but again, particularly the South.
2. What’s your latest best practice tip that you can share?
I would recommend specializing in a specific property type. Sometimes we think we can do it all, but in this business, you cannot. If you are not an expert in your field you will not be taken seriously, and people expect SVN Advisors to be experts.
3. What’s been the biggest change over on how you run your business in the past decade?
I would have to say the smart phone. It has decentralized the office. We can perform just about any task on the fly.
4. What business book do you like to recommend to your colleagues?
“What Every Real Estate Investor Needs To Know About Cash Flow” by Frank Gallinelli
5. What’s a fun fact that not everyone knows about you?
I’ve moved from Harley’s to Porsche’s in the past few years and I will be tracking my Porsche for the first time this spring.
*All Sperry Van Ness offices are independently owned and operated.